Not Many Boats Spend Two Nights at Coinjock

But we did. And yes, the Prime Rib is worth the stop.

Day 25, November 8, 2018

The reason not many boats spend two nights in Coinjock is there is nothing there but prime rib.  Good prime rib, mind you, but that’s it.

We, however, expected to receive two overnight shipments at Coinjock — one of them yet another heater part — so we needed to be there the second night.  All our buddies departed after the first night along with most everyone else.  We were left by ourselves with one lone small sailboat and it’s solo captain.

The Coinjock Marina & Restaurant is the primary attraction in Coinjock.  Well, actually it’s the only attraction.  And it’s only an attraction because of the Prime Rib.  Once there, though, it’s nice to chat with all the other boaters and we did enjoy the camaraderie at the bar.

Blowing 25 knots, gusting over 30, can make for a bumpy day on the water, especially crossing open sounds like Albemarle.

A walk on the narrow country road leads pretty much nowhere except to a boat ramp and boardwalk a mile away.  There appears to be some semblance of a town across the bridge, but you really can’t get there from the marina and it doesn’t seem worth a visit anyway.   The day was damp, gray and blustery day, with a 20 – 25, gusting to 30 knot northerly, so a good day to not cross Albemarle Sound.

A woman online had mentioned to Bruce that she had made soup with her leftover Coinjock prime rib, so Bruce decided that’s what he wanted to do with his.  It made for a good layday project as there truly was nothing else to do in Coinjock, especially in the rain and wind.

I cut the meat off the rib and roasted the bone in a hot oven with some onions, garlic and carrots. I made stock with the roasted bone and veggies, then strained the stock and made soup.  The boat smelled like roasting meat all day, which drove the pups and Bruce a bit crazy. The soup was great, and the pups had several days of meat trimmings soaked in leftover au jus.  We had a happy ship.

I love cooking on board but when we are constantly moving it’s sometimes hard to do.  I took advantage of the day off to make up for lost time.

We got a break in the rain, and took the pups for a walk up to the boardwalk & boat ramp.

In addition to the soup I made up a batch of beans, a pot of rice, and some marinated and roasted tofu for the rest of the week.  Those chores, along with a nice walk with the dogs to the boat ramp a mile down the road, and working on our blog, took up most of the day.

We are partial to handsome tugs.

One of the nice aspects of our boat is a “galley up.”  This means I can watch everything going on around us as I work.  It was fun watching the traffic on the canal all day.  We saw everything from fishing skiffs to small sailboats to large, elegant motor yachts to muscular tugs pushing loaded barges up the narrow channel.  Although it was a layday in a place with little to do off the boat, I enjoyed the relaxing change of pace.  It was time well spent.

Bruce, meanwhile, recovered our heater parts shipment from the marina.  The second shipment got misplaced in transit and was delayed, and thus would miss our stop in Coinjock.  That is an ongoing saga for another time.

Armed with his heater part — this time a replacement fuel filter — Bruce descended into the ER to do battle yet again.  Oiye, this is getting old.  After a couple of hours he got the system up and running yet again.  It should surprise no one to learn at this point that neither of us trusts this heater system.  It was running.  For the moment.  Stay tuned.

Coinjock packs boats in so tight that anchors are sometimes overhanging cockpits.

In the afternoon we watched another cycle of boats arrive at Coinjock Marina for the night.  It is a varied collection of vessels, and different each night.  The dock staff is efficient and cheerful, helping all sorts of boats with captains and crews of all levels of competence and incompetence, come alongside safely.  It was very windy that evening and a strong current was running, so getting secure proved challenging for some captains.  We were happy to be bystanders with a view of the activity.  There were some, um, hard landings.

We stocked up at the marina store with with supplies we definitely did not need: chocolate covered almonds, pink pickled eggs (Bruce????), pickled asparagus, and roasted peanuts and cashews.  As we would start early the next morning for a long 90-mile run to Belhaven, we turned in for an early night.  We prepared for yet another test of coping with traffic on the waterway, suffering through the “slow pass”, and pushing our way deep into the part of North Carolina that had been battered by Hurricane Florence in September.

5 thoughts on “Not Many Boats Spend Two Nights at Coinjock”

  1. Dorsey, glad to hear you got the slow pas down,it certainly is better than rolling us rag guys from gunnel to gunnel. Hope the heater problem goes away finally…sound frustrating to me.
    Dean and Kathy

    Liked by 1 person

    1. Hi Dean and Kathy! He slow pass thing is important, and not many people get it right. We got rolled very badly on the Alligator-Pungo by a Sea Ray type thing that passed too far away and put the throttle down hard way too soon. Tipped over our salon table. Thankfully we have good habits from sailing about securing everything before we leave the dock. The table, tho: that is not meant to tip over so it was truly a bad roll. Otherwise life is good.

      Liked by 1 person

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s